APREN Award 2019
APREN promoted in 2019 another edition of the APREN Award, an initiative that aimed to disclose, to the renewable electricity sector, academic dissertations carried out in Portuguese higher education institutions, contributing to technology transfer and knowledge dissemination between research institutions and companies.
This year's edition had the support of Vestas Portugal Lda. The results were announced during the Portugal Renewable Summit 2019 (APREN's Annual Conference, which took place on November 28 at Fundação Oriente, in Lisbon), where all the works accepted for the competition were exhibited.
António Faria, a student from the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto was the winner, with his thesis "A Chance-Built Approach for Electric Vehicle Aggregator Participation in the Reserve Market". Luís Costa, also from FEUP, got the second place, with the thesis "Integrating Hybrid Off-grid Systems with Battery Storage: Key Performance Indicators".
To see António Faria's poster/thesis summary, click here.
To see António Faria's presentation at Portugal Renewable Summit 2019, click here.
To read our interview with António Faria, click here.
APREN promoted yet another edition of its APREN Award, an initiative that aims to promote academic theses completed in Portuguese universities and related to renewable electricity.
The winners for this year's edition, sponsored by Voltalia, are already known:
- First Prize: : João Megre Barbosa (“Fast Assessment of Dynamic Behavior Analysis with Evaluation of Minimum Synchronous Inertia to Improve Dynamic Security in Islanded Power Systems"
- Second Prize: Rui do Couto (“Improving Solar Power Forecasting Through Advanced Feature Engineering")
- Honourable Mentions:
- José Cardoso (“Análise da Fase de Transporte de uma Fundação Inovadora para uma Turbina Eólica Offshore")
- Miguel Silva (“Technical and Economic Solutions for Grid-Connected Utility-Scale Solar Photovoltaic Power Plants")
- First Prize: Mário Alberto Vieira (“Viability of Structural Health Monitoring Systems on the Support Structures of Offshore Wind")
- Second Prize: José Iria (“Optimal participation of na aggregator of prosumers in the electricity markets")
- Honourable Mentions:
- Raquel Figueiredo (“Renewable and resilient power systems under future climate variability")
- Rita Hogan Almeida (“Large power hybrid PV pumping for irrigation")