Portugal Renewable Summit 2019
On November 28 APREN holded its annual conference, under the theme "From transition to energy commitment". The event took place at Fundação Oriente, in Lisbon.
As in previous editions, the event featured the interventions of some of the leading experts on renewable energy. It was also announced the winner of APREN Award 2019 - an initiative that aims to disclose, to the renewable electricity sector, academic dissertations carried out in Portuguese higher education institutions contributing to technology transfer and knowledge dissemination between research institutions and companies.
To watch the introductory video of the event, click here.
To watch the first part of the event (morning period), click here.
To watch the second part of the event (afternoon period), click here.
To see the photos of the event, click here.
For speaker presentations, click here.
November 28, Fundação Oriente (Lisbon)
Opening (09:00 - 09:20)
- Pedro Amaral Jorge, President at APREN - Associação Portuguesa de Energias Renováveis
- Inês dos Santos Costa, Secretary of State for the Environment
1st morning session: Citizenship in the Energy Transition (09:20 – 10:30)
Moderator: Júlia Seixas, Professor at FCT Nova
- The undeniable reality: climate change | Júlia Seixas, Professor at FCT Nova
- The role of digitalisation and solar on the demand side | Carlos Alvarez, Chief Smart Grid Scientist at Huawei
- Unlocking regulation to new business models | Rafael Gómez-Elvira González, Institutional Affairs and Marketing Director at OMI Group
Coffee Break (10:30 - 11:10)
2nd morning session: Understanding Financing Tools and Investment Decisions (11:15 – 13:00)
Moderator: Pedro Amaral Jorge, President at APREN - Portuguese Renewable Energy Association
- Investing in solar in Portugal, the prospect of a Developer operating in the European Market | Bernardo Veiga, Chief Strategy Officer at Smartenergy
- Financing renewable energy generation in Portugal | Tiago Simões de Almeida, Managing Director - Structured and Project Finance at CaixaBank Sucursal Portugal
- How can PPAs accelerate the energy transition? | Fernando de Juan Astray, Responsible Gas & Power Options & Structured Products at Axpo Iberia
- Electricity prices forecast until 2030 | Santiago Blanco, Director and Area Manager Spain, Portugal and Latin America at DNV GL
- Debate: Financing renewables in an auction environment | Hugo Costa, Deputy Country Manager Portugal at EDP Renováveis; João Maria de Macedo Santos, Country Head at Akuo Portugal; Guilherme Portugal, Business Development Director at Finerge; Filipe Valença, Financing & Business Development at Generg Group
Lunch (13:15 - 14:15)
APREN Award 2019 (14:15 - 14:45)
NECP - National Energy and Climate Plan (14:45 - 15:15)
- NECP - what are the main challenges? | João Bernardo, Director General of DGEG - Direção Geral de Energia e Geologia
- The European Commission’s opinion on the NECPs | João Medeiros, Economic Attaché in the Representation of the European Commission in Portugal
Afternoon session: The Main Challenges in the Energy Sector until 2030 (15:15 – 17:45)
Moderator: Ivone Rocha, Partner at TELLES Advogados
- Markets and Regulation | Diletta Zeni, Advisor – Energy & Climate Change at WindEurope
- Adapting the grid to the new energy paradigm | Rui Marmota, Director of Network Planning at REN
- Challenges and opportunities of the new market design | Antonio García Gallego, Head of Business Development Portugal at ENEL Green Power
- Production, repowering and its potential: A case Study for Eckolstädt wind farm | Nicolas Voyez, Deputy VP Europe at EDF Renewables
- Debate: Permitting in Portugal, from dialogue to the solution | Nuno Lacasta, President at APA - Agência Portuguesa do Ambiente; Carlos Magno, Director of Electricity Services at DGEG - Direção Geral de Energia e Geologia; Hélder Serranho, Chief Operational Officer at Generg Group; Nuno Banza, President at ICNF - Instituto da Conservação da Natureza e das Florestas; José Medeiros Pinto, Secretary General at APREN - Associação Portuguesa de Energias Renováveis
Closing (17:45 - 18:15)
- João Galamba, Secretary of State for Energy
- Pedro Amaral Jorge, President at APREN - Portuguese Renewable Energy Association
APREN promoted in 2019 another edition of the APREN Award, an initiative that aimed to disclose, to the renewable electricity sector, academic dissertations carried out in Portuguese higher education institutions, contributing to technology transfer and knowledge dissemination between research institutions and companies.
This year's edition had the support of Vestas Portugal Lda. The results were announced during the Portugal Renewable Summit 2019 (APREN's Annual Conference, which took place on November 28 at Fundação Oriente, in Lisbon), where all the works accepted for the competition were exhibited.
António Faria, a student from the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto was the winner, with his thesis "A Chance-Built Approach for Electric Vehicle Aggregator Participation in the Reserve Market". Luís Costa, also from FEUP, got the second place, with the thesis "Integrating Hybrid Off-grid Systems with Battery Storage: Key Performance Indicators".
To see António Faria's poster/thesis summary, click here.
To see António Faria's presentation at Portugal Renewable Summit 2019, click here.
To read our interview with António Faria, click here.